Plantains with Butter & Honey

Plantains (click this link for an example) are a larger banana. They are usually green when they arrive in the grocery, and some people eat them that way. This recipe needs matured, yellowed or browned looking plantains, so you can buy the ugliest plantains in the bunch and have a great meal. It's not what's on the outside, it's the inside that counts.
I've come back to add these ready to roast plantains. This is how they looked in Supermercado Mexico when I bought them a couple hours ago. These are ready to pop in the oven today or over the next couple days.

The one here is just to the point that, well, it's still good for eating, but I probably should have baked it a couple days ago. It's still good, though, so we're okay!!

That's a baking stone under the plantain. I use it almost daily for bread.

Plantains sizes make cooking times vary. They also don't cook evenly. The ends will be drier than the center, but you can eat it all.

Bake at 350 until your kitchen starts to smell good. My guesstimate is 20 minutes. It will start to bubble and split open.

I helped this one to open, since the peeling has lost a lot of its moisture already.
It started to spill out. You can put them into the oven just as they are if they are yellowed.





This is what it looks like cooked. You could easily stop here, add those pats of butter, drizzle honey, and eat it all with a spoon. That wouldn't be fair. (I don't remember life being fair, do you? Hehehe.)

Notice that the peeling doesn't look that much different from the first photo? If you started with a lighter skin, it would end up like this one. Ni modo.





This is going to melt like... buttah. Mouth watering yet?
These two are pals.

Pat, pat, pat... not quite enough. Am I right, or am I right?

Eat it with plenty of butter and drizzle that honey on! This was the last shot right before it hit my mouth. :D  Mmmmmm, soooooo goood.
Now, go get your own plantains. Hey, I know a great place.
Supermercado Mexico 3355 S. Division, Wyoming, Michigan
Supermercado Mexico 1160 Chicago Drive SW


Labels: , , , , , ,